Any way to get a credit card in HK without holding a HK ID card?

Are there any local regulations preventing banks from offering that, or do the banks simply not want to bother? I tried HSBC and was rejected for that reason.

  • 1
    Rejected for what reason? Lack of ID card or HSBC simply has no interest in offering it? Sounds like they might have given you the answer you seek already... Commented May 24, 2011 at 18:03
  • 1
    p.s. In the online application for any of HSBC's HK credit cards, one of the questions is "Do you hold a permanent HK ID card?" .. and selecting "No" does not appear to abort the application process. Did you try online, or in a bank? Sometimes the nice person behind the counter at the bank doesn't know correct policy, they make an assumption instead. See hsbc.com.hk/1/2/hk/cards/… if you want to try an online application. Commented May 31, 2011 at 0:14
  • @ChrisW.Rea For HSBC, the application form now can't be submitted without HK ID number filled in: Please enter your HK ID number. Please enter the digit of your HK ID
    – yurkennis
    Commented Apr 14, 2014 at 17:52

1 Answer 1


It varies. You may have asked a bank that, by their own policy, requires the ID card. But, apparently, there should be banks that permit a passport to be used instead of the HK ID card. Refer to Angloinfo.com - Banking in Hong Kong:


Opening a Bank Account

Some retail banks [in Hong Kong] provide account opening forms which can be downloaded from their websites. Requirements and criteria for opening an account vary from bank to bank. However, the standard documents needed for a savings or current account are:

  • Hong Kong Identification Card or passport
  • proof of Hong Kong address or address in home country
  • application form

Note: It is not necessary to be a resident in Hong Kong to open a bank account. [emphasis mine]


  • "... or passport... It is not necessary to be a resident in Hong Kong to open a bank account"--It would be very helpful if someone names the banks which allow opening a bank account without a HK ID or HKSAR Passport.
    – yurkennis
    Commented May 16, 2014 at 21:11

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .