I am a NZ citizen working for an Australian company being paid into an Australian bank account through an Australian tax number and visiting Australia every 4-6 weeks for 3-4 days work related. I hardly ever visit NZ. I am living off shore in neither of these countries, what tax classification do I fall under? And what would be the best way to position myself?

  • Where do you actually live? – GS - Apologise to Monica Oct 3 '17 at 6:57
  • Have you asked the tax authorities in either country? – jcm Oct 3 '17 at 8:26
  • If you are getting paid in Australia you will have to file your tax return there. You need to find out if you are classed as a tax resident for tax purposes and you will need to find out what country is your main residency in, Then you will need to find out if there is any tax treaty between Australia and where your main residency is. So you haven't provided enough information for anyone to answer this question properly. – Victor Oct 3 '17 at 11:24
  • 2
    Note that you are likely (also?) taxable in your country of residence. Citizenship basically only matters for taxes in the US & Eritrea. – Grade 'Eh' Bacon Oct 3 '17 at 13:19
  • @Grade'Eh'Bacon Some countries tax everything earned within their borders... US taxes citizens no matter where they reside, all residents who earn in the US, and I assume non-residents who earn inside the US. – Xalorous Oct 3 '17 at 21:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.