I am Canadian and my common law partner is Mexican. We want to buy property in Canada with a mortgage that will be under my name only. Every month she withdraws money from her account in Mexico as her contribution to our purchase. Do I need to declare this money to the government or will I be taxed on it later on? Or is it just considered a tax free gift between spouses?

  • technically spousal money is not gifted to each other, it is a "common" funds, not sure if that is somehow different in Canada; perhaps the term common law partner might be the stickler here – GµårÐïåñ Sep 22 '17 at 1:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.