I received my first paycheck and 200 in taxes were taken out but I never received a w-4 or i9 Which is what I am used to were I can claim 0 5. So how can these taxes be taken out if I never received those forms of any kind

  • 1
    May be some default values used instead...Until you fill out the form itself and pass it to the employer Aug 21, 2017 at 15:43

1 Answer 1


The IRS instructions cover this situation. In the absence of a valid completed W-4, an employer must withhold at the highest rate - single with 0 allowances. This is covered in the first paragraph of the following document:

Topic 753 - Form W-4 – Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate

If an employee fails to give you a properly completed Form W-4, you must withhold federal income taxes from his or her wages as if he or she were single and claiming no withholding allowances.

The I-9 should have no effect on your tax withholding, since it only certifies that you have the right to work in the United States, not that you have any specific tax condition.

A new W-4 can be filed at any time. The above document specifies the maximum amount of time before the new document must be accepted.

If you are certain you have not been given a W-4 or I-9 to complete, you may wish to inquire further of your employer, and save those pay stubs. Without proper documentation, your employer may act shadily and may not be making proper payments to the IRS on your behalf or his own.

  • Looks like I beat you to it by 2 minutes. But your answer is a little more thorough so I merged in the quote into your answer and deleted mine.
    – TTT
    Aug 21, 2017 at 16:32
  • Thank you! Yeah I asked if I could get a w4 and he said "he dosnt subcontract insurance". This was in a text
    – J D
    Aug 21, 2017 at 17:05
  • What kinda scam could he be doing by not giving me the forms to fill out like i9 or w2.
    – J D
    Aug 21, 2017 at 17:06
  • Ok I see . Thank you again I will find out. I wonder what will happen if he refuses to give me these forms
    – J D
    Aug 21, 2017 at 17:07
  • 1
    I seriously doubt there is any scamming going on - probably they are just slow with the forms, or they offer it on the internal website and the OP didn't realize it yet. Either way, the amount of taxes owed is independent of W-4 anyway; it just defines the pre-payments, OP will get back any overpayments.
    – Aganju
    Aug 21, 2017 at 18:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .