I unfortunately filled my taxes using TurboTax as an International student twice and got money back before I found out it was incorrect for me to use that system.

I have not filled the 8843 form either because I did not know and it is August 2017!

What do I do?
Will this affect any potential applications such as an OPT application?

I need some help and advice.


To start with, I should mention that many tax preparation companies will give you any number of free consultations on tax issues — they will only charge you if you use their services to file a tax form, such as an amended return. I know that H&R Block has international tax specialists who are familiar with the issues facing F-1 students, so they might be the right people to talk about your specific situation.

According to TurboTax support, you should prepare a completely new 1040NR, then submit that with a 1040X. GWU’s tax department says you can submit late 8843, so you should probably do that if you need to claim non-resident status for tax purposes.

(Updated on Nov 8, 2019): According to the 1040X form instructions on the IRS website (pg 7):

Also, use Form 1040X if you should have filed Form 1040 (or, for years before 2018, Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) instead of Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or vice versa.

To amend Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or to file the correct return, do the following:

  • Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.
  • Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, Form 1040NR, etc.).
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.”
  • Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.

For more information, see Pub. 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

| improve this answer | |
  • Your first link is broken. – evaristegd Nov 8 '19 at 13:59
  • 1
    Thanks! I've replaced it with a similar link. I also found a quote from the IRS with specific instructions about what to do in this case! – Gaurav Nov 8 '19 at 14:32

Read up on filing an "amended tax return". Essentially you'll fill out the entire return as it should have been originally, then fill out form 1040X stating what has changed (and pay the additional tax due if needed).

According to TurboTax's website, they have partnered with Sprintax for non-resident tax prep. I am not vouching for the service; just offering it as information.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.