Say that I have some mutual funds invested in a (Swedish) bank, in Swedish crowns. If I move to another (EU) country, will I be able to transfer the funds without cashing them? This would imply changing to a country with different currency (Euros).

Note: also, it seems that cashing mutual funds has a 30% flat rate tax on the benefits here in Sweden. The country I'd move to will have a lower tax (20% for those quantities, as is not a flat rate).

2 Answers 2


Moving your residence is unrelated to if you can keep them. If you want to move your investments to another brokerage/bank, it depends on them if they support accounts in the old currency, and/or if the investments are tradable on other exchanges / in other currencies.

Regarding your tax question- most countries tax income in the year it happens, so if you live in a different country when you sell the investments, that's whee you pay the taxes, according to their tax laws. However, if you leave it in the bank in the old country, they might tax you too.

  • If I own a fund in Europe, my statement shows Euros. The identical fund would be valued as Dollars if I am in the US or Canada. Why would a sale be required, isn't it the same fund? Just as a stock, say, Apple, would be priced in whatever currency the owner (or broker) is located. Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 12:28
  • @JoeTaxpayer Funds are not automatically converted to your local currency. It is a property of the fund or of your broker if it is offered as such. For example, the London Stock Exchange has two Vanguard S&P 500 ETFs: VUSA priced in GBP and VUSD priced in USD.
    – Eric
    Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 14:14

You should ask your bank(s), but I'm pretty sure that you'd have to liquidate the holdings to move them.

Regarding the tax question, you'll be "begränsat skattskyldig" for ten years (see Skatteverkets website, in Swedish) so it'll take a while before you can liquidate them and pay the lower tax even if you leave them in Sweden.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .