Suppose I get a remote job in US, being Argentinian, and I want them to pay me in a local bank, so I withdraw the money when needed from ATMs in Argentina.

Is it possible? Will I have to pay taxes for this money?

What if I go on vacations to the US with a Tourist/Business Visa that does not allow me to work? Will I be breaching the agreement if I have to take an urgent task while I'm still in the US?


Answering for US tax only: The bank account makes absolutely zero difference.

If you are not a US national and not resident in the US, but earn income from a US employer/client/customer, generally that income is not subject to US tax (no matter where it is banked). However there are (complicated) exceptions, particularly if you are considered to be operating a 'trade or business' in the US or US real estate is involved. Start at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-aliens and proceed through pub 519 if you have time to spend.

I do not know (or answer) about Argentinian taxes.

Whether you can find a US bank that wants to open and maintain an account for a foreigner (which is extra paperwork and regulation for them) is a different Q, that is already asked and answered:

B1/B2 visas do not allow you to work, but that isn't really in scope of money.SX and belongs over on travel.SX (or expatriates.SX for longer stay); https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/25416/work-as-freelancer-while-tourist-in-us-for-an-already-existing-us-client seems to cover it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.