I have changed my job from a govt company to a private company. At the time of final settlement in the govt company, I have got some money as leaves encashment. Am I liable to pay income tax on that.


For Govt Employees receiving Leave Encashment as part of retirement or separation; there is no tax applicable for the leave encashment. Refer Income Tax

| improve this answer | |
  • But according to section 10AA taxguru.in/income-tax/… this is tax free for govt employees after retirement. But it is nowhere mentioned whether it is taxable or taxfree in case of resignation – Arpit Aggarwal Aug 7 '17 at 4:20
  • @ArpitAggarwal Sorry you are right. Updated the answer. – Dheer Aug 7 '17 at 6:24
  • 1
    But here its not clearly mentioned whether it is tax free even in case of resignation also. – Arpit Aggarwal Aug 7 '17 at 6:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.