I work in the US and own 33% of a foreign company. Last year I received no income from this company. I'm trying to understand whether I need to file form 5471 (or any other form) regarding this.

I've checked several IRS links but I'm still unclear whether it's needed.




Do I still need to file form 5471 (or any other form apart from 1040) for my income tax statement?

Do I need to specify anything on my 1040 form?

How do I avoid the USD 10k penalty if the IRS determines I actually had to file this?

  • 1
    Better be safe then sorry! – Noah Cristino Aug 1 '17 at 0:00
  • I'm about to buy foreign company stake (as US Citizen). I foudn this online: [goldinglawyers.com/… If you search the page for "5471" it highly recommends filing, even if you are not receiving any income. I'm curious. Did you ever find out the response? Thanks, A – user1477126 Jun 30 '18 at 8:19
  • I consulted three different tax preparers, only one of them recommended filing. Last year I did file it, and this year I will not (still haven't filed, I requested an extension). I will update this comment after I receive a reply from the IRS – jlhonora Jun 30 '18 at 15:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.