My spouse is currently unemployed, and I would like to continue making contributions to her IRA using my income. I understand that these `spousal' contributions are a fairly regular form of retirement investing.

I am less clear on restrictions for sourcing these contributions. I would prefer to just transfer some additional amount of money X to my wife's checking account each month, and she would make the deposit into her IRA from there. Would this violate some condition on the contribution needing to come directly from me (e.g., from my checking account)?

It seems bizarre that the IRS would care about this kind of distinction, but I'd rather not run afoul of a technicality.

1 Answer 1


As long as you, or rather, your wife, qualifies for a deposit, the source doesn't matter. As an example, if my child makes more than $5500, and I'd like to help her with her IRA, I can gift her the money for the deposit. The actual funds don't need to be from her income.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .