Every year or so, I sell my investments and then immediately buy them again. I do this because I'm in a low enough tax bracket that I don't have to pay capital gains on my long term investments, so I'm trying to capture as many gains as I can before I rise into a higher tax bracket. I talked to someone a while ago about this and he had a name for it, but I can't remember what it is. Does anyone know what this strategy is called?

In case it is relevant, my investments are all index funds.

  • 7
    Isn't this tax evasion? – S. G. Jul 20 '17 at 19:52
  • 10
    @SethGreylyn: Nope. Abusing loopholes with full reporting is not tax evasion. If the IRS wants to call you on it they have all the information in front of them. – Joshua Jul 20 '17 at 20:23
  • 6
    @SethGreylyn A wash sale would be, but that involves selling securities at a loss and then buying them back. – Michael Jul 20 '17 at 21:21
  • The UK term for this is "bed and breakfast" - see investopedia.com/terms/b/bed-and-breakfast-deal.asp. Comment as a) I don't have enough rep to answer this locked question; b) the OP is asking about US, not UK. – Martin Bonner supports Monica Jul 22 '17 at 19:41
  • @SethGreylyn It's tax avoidance, rather. – Brian Oct 25 '17 at 15:03

It sounds like you're describing tax gain harvesting, where you intentionally realize capital gains in a low-tax-rate period in order to increase your cost basis and reduce future capital gains at higher rates.

  • Cool! I don't believe that was the term he used, but it definitely fits the bill. I'll accept your answer unless someone provides a clearly superior one soon. – BlackThorn Jul 20 '17 at 16:49
  • 1
    Here in the UK, we call it "CGT harvesting". – Kaz Jul 20 '17 at 22:22
  • 10
    In the UK we also call it "bed-and-breakfasting". – Mark Pattison Jul 21 '17 at 8:14
  • It matches the definition of tax optimisation: bris-group.com/difference-tax-planning-tax-optimisation but it is a very broad term – mpasko256 Jul 21 '17 at 11:44

D Stanley gave a correct answer. Let me offer an observation. In a year where any of your investments are down, I'd suggest taking the loss (being mindful of wash sale rules), and use it to offset up to $3000 of ordinary (15%) income or to offset the tax of a Roth IRA conversion. Then in future years, continue to use the tax gain harvest strategy.

And note, that even in a year where the S&P or general market is up, one sector might be down. This depends on what type of indexes you are tracking.

  • To harvest capital losses, do your investments have to be long term? – BlackThorn Jul 20 '17 at 16:47
  • 1
    No. If all you have taken is a loss, it's a loss. For active traders, we need to first offset long-tern gains against long term losses, short against short, etc. For you, this would be a non-issue. – JTP - Apologise to Monica Jul 20 '17 at 16:48
  • Awesome, good stuff here. I see your edit mentions sectors of the the S&P being down during an up year, but I thought that for tax purposes, my share of the index was what counted, not the individual stocks comprising it. – BlackThorn Jul 20 '17 at 16:52
  • It sounds like you have a broad index fund. No problem. Look at the Spiders ETFs, and you'll see how you might have sector indexes. But don't take this as 'advice'. – JTP - Apologise to Monica Jul 20 '17 at 16:54
  • 3
    This is useful info, but it's not an answer to the question. – BrenBarn Jul 21 '17 at 3:00

One term for what you have done is "reset your cost basis".

protected by NL - Apologize to Monica Jul 21 '17 at 20:53

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.