Can anyone please guide me with information about the taxes should be paid by a contract position employee. I got an opportunity to work as a contract employee to a company in US from India. Should I need to pay service tax? Can I receive the income as an individual, or should I need to receive it in the name of a registered company. Also please provide information about the ways to reduce the tax.


When I used to work as a contractor, way back in 2007, I used to receive my salary as an individual minus some deductions(IT not the full amount though) done by the company which had hired me. At the end of the year I had to do my IT returns, for which I had to use an accountant. Deductions were as admissible to a normal employee. At that time there wan't any service tax been levied so I am not sure how it affects you now.

If I were in your situation, I will visit a good accountant pronto and get some more clarification because of the myriad rules and regulations.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.