My employer recently switched to ADP for payroll and I want to select 'Married, but withhold at the higher single rate' for my W-4.

That option isn't available on their ADP portal. And according to the ADP consultants (not since if they're independent or part of ADP), they only offer 'Married' and 'Single'.

I'm not a tax lawyer, but aren't all payroll services legally obligated to provide the same options as what's listed on the W-4??

  • 1
    Do they just mean via the portal they don't support it? Seems unlikely that they disregard W-4's. – Hart CO Jul 4 '17 at 21:29
  • Yes, via their portal. – user6937647 Jul 5 '17 at 16:43
  • You really need an option for "I'm really married, but want you to pretend that I'm a married person pretending to be single"? – David Schwartz Jul 5 '17 at 22:04

I can't (and generally this site won't) comment on what ADP must legally do, although they're a rather large company so I'd be surprised if they are violating the law. At any rate, you can fill out your W4 using the Single option. All the W4 is used for is to calculate how much to withhold from each pay period, it doesn't affect how you file your taxes at all. So you can pick the Single option, as that's the same as Married, but withhold at the higher single rate.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.