2

This question is a direct and specific extension of this question that I had posted few days ago and received very good suggestions.

Now I have an offer from another company worth $(X+10)k but I am interested in working for the first company (that is the one that offered me $(X+5)). I have got written offer letters from both companies.

Can I negotiate with the first company to get what the second company is offering me? I do not want to do this at risk of rescinding the current $(X + 5) offer.

Secondly, both the offer letters say that they want me to accept and sign the offers if acceptable at my 'earliest'. How much time do I really have before I have to accept the offer? The interview process took almost 3-4 weeks for both the companies so I expect them to be patient while I make a decision but I'm not sure whether the candidates do have such choice.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

  • 2
  • 1
    The interview process could have taken 3-4 weeks because they needed to interview several candidates before deciding to whom to make offers. Once they've made that decision, and extended an offer (to you), they're quite likely not to want to hang around (if you don't accept in a timely manner, the chances are there's a "close second" waiting in the wings). – TripeHound Jun 22 '17 at 8:04
  • Is one week acceptable? – Q-RIUS Jun 22 '17 at 15:12
  • My gut feeling is that one week is more "the longest you could push it", especially since you have both offers (i.e. you aren't waiting for another company to make an offer before you decide). – TripeHound Jun 23 '17 at 10:05
1

Can I negotiate with the first company to get what the second company is offering me?

You can negotiate. Whether this would be successful or not can't be predicted.

I do not want to do this at risk of rescinding the current $(X + 5) offer.

This can't be guaranteed. This would depend on how desperate the company is, they may have no pressing needs or the hiring manager is a stickler of ethics and may get offended. Rescinding an offer is multi step process, the offer letter should state till when the offer is good; else the company would give you a notice to accept the offer or reject it. The time allowance would depend on the jurisdiction.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.