Asking on someone's behalf but I will act as them.

My husband owns a house in UK with his brother, both of them are on mortgage as well. Even though my husband pays all the mortgages his brother now wants to take his name off mortgage and also from house ownership.

Is it possible for me to co-own house as a housewife, I don't work at all but take care of children. My husband is trying to get a new deal of mortgage on his name. so his brother will be out of question soon hopefully.


My husband's brother wants to take his name off from house & mortgage and we all are happy with this.

  • 1
    There are actually a few questions buried in what you're asking. Note that 'home ownership' is different than being a cosigner on a mortgage. Also note that whether you are 'able' to co-own the house, it is not clear how this would happen given the current co-ownership between the brothers. Jun 6, 2017 at 13:43
  • 2
    So the brother wants to take his own name off of the title? The pronouns make it a little confusing.
    – D Stanley
    Jun 6, 2017 at 13:44
  • 1
    In the US that's done with a "quit-claim" deed. I don't know what the UK equivalent is. Is there any equity in the house? Seems odd to just "give up" half ownership in a house.
    – D Stanley
    Jun 6, 2017 at 13:45
  • 1
    The answer is most likely "yes" to all questions - yes the brother can give up his half - yes you can be put on the title - yes your husband can refinance the house in his name only (provided his credit is good enough). But I would talk to a bank and real estate attorney (independently - don't let one refer you to the other) in the UK to make sure nothing goes wrong.
    – D Stanley
    Jun 6, 2017 at 13:47
  • 2
    This isn't the 19th century. Housewives are actually allowed to own (or co-own) things now.
    – Simon B
    Jun 6, 2017 at 19:12

1 Answer 1


The question isn't whether or not you can "co-own property as a housewife" - of course you can. The question is whether or not you can co-own property that has a first mortgage on it that you are not a participant in. And the answer to that is no.

The problem the bank has is this: As part of the deal by which the money was lent to buy the house, the bank acquired the first charge on the property. This is what gives them the right to repossess in case of non-payment.

Now, at the moment your husband (call him H) and his brother (B) co-own the house and are also jointly and severally liable for the mortgage. Suppose it were possible for you to be added to the list of house owners, but not added to the mortgage. Then suppose H+B stop paying the mortgage. The bank would be entitled to repossess the house - but wait, you own a third of it and have no contractual relationship with the bank. What happens here?

This potential conflict is why your broker quite rightly said "he just can't add me to house ownership if I am not part of mortgage deal with bank". It's also why when one is buying a house, the mortgage provider is typically very interested indeed to learn about who will be living in the house, particularly adults, so as to be sure they are not acquiring property rights without mortgage responsibilities.

I don't know off the top of my head what you can do simply to resolve this problem. If B is (as you say) happy to relinquish his share of ownership, that's one thing - but you will also need to agree with the mortgage provider that the mortgage can be transferred to you+H, and that H's income alone is enough to meet their lending criteria. Given that H has been paying the mortgage without any contribution from B, this shouldn't be a problem, but you never know.

I would recommend talking to a solicitor (specialising in conveyancing), and then with their help talking to the bank. Expect fees to be involved, in the hundreds of pounds.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .