Assume I have $200 and I bought stock A and stock B $100 each

Stock A, I earn 10 dollars. Stock B, I lose 10 dollars.

How much do I need to pay for US government? Is it the net earning = 0, so I don't need to pay tax. OR I need to pay tax for the 10 dollars that I earn? If that is the case, how to take care the $10 that I lose?


Assuming this occurs in the same year, your net for the year is zero. It's reported, but zeroes out to no taxable event.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.