Is there a way to make an IRA contribution of say $x for 2016 (Deadline was April 15 2017)?

Background Info: The $x has already been claimed in taxes. But because of a technical error from the financial company, the contribution was not processed on time. Now the financial company refuses to apply the contribution for 2016. Are there any ways to avoid amending the tax filing?

  • 1
    Good question. Unfortunately I'd guess you probably will have to amend. I don't think the reason it was deposited late is relevant, except that maybe if the bank felt it was due to their own error they may be more inclined to fix it, but it sounds like they aren't... – TTT Jun 1 '17 at 15:23
  • 5
    The deadline was April 18 in 2017 and so you might be still be meeting the deadline especially if you sent the money by wire transfer and have proof that the financial company received the money by April 18. That they didn't credit to the proper account in timely fashion is their error, not yours, and you shouldn't be penalized for that..... – Dilip Sarwate Jun 1 '17 at 16:08
  • More details would be helpful, particularly as to the type and source of the error. – Joe Jun 1 '17 at 18:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.