My wife and I currently live in State A. She plans on moving to State B for a year (sad year!) for work reasons. "Her" car is registered in State A.

Should she register her car or get auto insurance in State B? Is there even a clear-cut right/wrong answer? Are there inherent pros/cons either way?

Recognizing that the primary question may be opinion-based, I'd appreciate discussion to inform my decision.

  • 2
    To some extent this will depend on the specific state's laws regarding residency and auto registration. I think if a car is in CA for more than just a few weeks at a time CA wants you to have either CA plates and registration or a paid CA "out-of-state" registration. – quid May 15 '17 at 18:28
  • 1
    Although you might get away with either option, legally you probably will not have a choice. Check with the target state's laws. – Aganju May 16 '17 at 11:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.