I need to send a check to the IRS. My check has a different address than the one I provided in forms 1040X and 1040. Is that okay or should the addresses match?

  • Not quite the same case, but for what it's worth, I've been using checks with an outdated address for 10+ years and have never had a problem. I don't think anyone even looks at the address on the check, unless of course the check doesn't clear.
    – user428517
    May 3, 2017 at 20:45
  • It's perfectly fine to cross out the wrong address on the check and write in your current address.
    – Dan C
    May 3, 2017 at 20:54
  • Seriously, it's 2017. Don't use checks. They're the most insecure form of payment. If you really want to send money as paper on occasion, use cashier's checks for it so they don't include your account information that's easy for anyone who sees it to use and painful to change. May 4, 2017 at 1:04
  • @R.. : Lots of businesses still use paper checks to pay bills.
    – TOOGAM
    May 4, 2017 at 6:54

2 Answers 2


It doesn't seem to me like they should care so long as it clears, but they instruct you to provide the correct info on the front of the check.

Here's Everything You Need to Know About Making Federal Tax Payments from the horses mouth:

Always provide on the front of your check or money order your correct name, address, Social Security number listed first on the tax form, daytime telephone number, tax year and form number

Note it doesn't say the address must be the same as anything you sent previously, just that it is correct.


As long as the check clears, the IRS will not care whether the address on your checks match.

  • And as long as they can match the tax payment to the return, should the two be separated. You may want to write your SSN on there.
    – WBT
    May 27, 2017 at 18:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.