I need to amend my tax return in order to include 1099-R (got money from 401(k)). TurboTax gave me 3 forms - 1040X, 1040, Schedule B (form 1040A or 1040). How should I staple my amended tax return? Should I staple all forms together or separately? Where should I include form 1099-R? Should I include my W-2 again?

1 Answer 1


The IRS instructions do not specify how to connect the forms, just that you should not staple the check to the form (likely because it goes to a different location for processing).

I have always either stapled or paper-clipped them together, however I would assume that the receiving department does not care, otherwise it would be explicit in the instructions.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .