I'm about to pull the trigger and get some Canadian stock BBI:CA, but first I want to know if I need to pay special taxes, or If I'll be double taxed by this capital gains.

  • I'm a US alien, got the residence for 2 years and now I'm about to get the permanent one.

I will answer my own question. After calling my broker, they explained me this:

  • For dividends earnings, Canada government withholds 15%. That could be used as credit for US taxes
  • For stock, you're only taxed once by the IRA. It works just like a US stock.
| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    To add a reference to this, the reason for the difference in tax treatment lies in the tax treaty between the US and Canada. This is a complex area and a quick answer online is insufficient for full support, without knowing the OP's full situation. However in short, between the US & Canada, capital gains [excluding 'real property', like land) are considered income in the country where the individual is a resident [not the country where the stocks exist]. So Canada does not generally have the right to tax a US resident's capital gains income. – Grade 'Eh' Bacon Jul 4 '17 at 13:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.