I am a US citizen living abroad, and I have government-provided health insurance (that is, provided by the government of the country I live in). Does this qualify as health insurance for the purposes of ACA and the tax requirements?


If you fulfill

the bona fide resident test or the physical presence test, you are considered to have essential minimum coverage under the Act and will not be required get affordable health care insurance or pay the penalty under the PPACA for the month or months that you qualify for either of these tests.

The bona fide resident test requires that:

You must be bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year. This means for most taxpayers January 1 – December 31 and

You must be either:

  • A U.S. citizen, or

  • A U.S. resident alien who is a citizen or national of a country with which the United States has an income tax treaty in effect.

The physical presence test requires that:

  • You must be physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full calendar days during a period of 12 consecutive months
  • Be a US citizen and resident alien

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.