I am a Canadian citizen working in California on a TN visa. I worked 4.5 months in 2016 and plan to continue working here indefinitely. Am I considered a tax resident for 2016?

  • This link says TN visa holders are always non-residents: students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees/residence/…. Is there official documentation supporting this claim? – fumoboy007 Apr 2 '17 at 7:03
  • 1
    Are you also a college student? The link is determining residence status for tuition. purposes. – mhoran_psprep Apr 2 '17 at 11:28
  • Oh I see. I am not a college student. – fumoboy007 Apr 2 '17 at 19:14
  • @fumoboy007: That's state residency for tuition purposes. It has nothing to do with taxes. – user102008 Apr 5 '17 at 8:35
  • I will also note that if you don't have income from outside California in the period of time you're resident in California, whether you count as a resident or nonresident for California taxes won't make any difference. – user102008 Apr 5 '17 at 8:37

You want FTB Publication 1031: Guidelines for Determining Resident Status. And if you still have questions, the assistance of a professional tax preparer.

Armchair version: you're likely a California resident for tax purposes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.