I am a Canadian citizen working in California on a TN visa. I worked 4.5 months in 2016 and plan to continue working here indefinitely. Am I considered a tax resident for 2016?

  • This link says TN visa holders are always non-residents: students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees/residence/…. Is there official documentation supporting this claim?
    – fumoboy007
    Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 7:03
  • 1
    Are you also a college student? The link is determining residence status for tuition. purposes. Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 11:28
  • Oh I see. I am not a college student.
    – fumoboy007
    Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 19:14
  • @fumoboy007: That's state residency for tuition purposes. It has nothing to do with taxes.
    – user102008
    Commented Apr 5, 2017 at 8:35
  • I will also note that if you don't have income from outside California in the period of time you're resident in California, whether you count as a resident or nonresident for California taxes won't make any difference.
    – user102008
    Commented Apr 5, 2017 at 8:37

1 Answer 1


You want FTB Publication 1031: Guidelines for Determining Resident Status. And if you still have questions, the assistance of a professional tax preparer.

Armchair version: you're likely a California resident for tax purposes.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .