I am a Canadian citizen but non tax-resident of Canada. I am currently working in China and paying my taxes there. I previously had an investment account with BMO Investor Line in Canada but they do not want to let me buy stocks anymore since I am not a tax resident of Canada anymore.

I am looking for other countries where I could open an investment account to buy stocks. However, I found it difficult to open a stock market account in other countries. In mainland China, I cannot open the stock market account. In Hong Kong, I cannot open the stock market account as they do not allow Canadians to have a stock market account there due to tax regulations.

In which countries would a non-tax resident Canadian could open an investment account, and where it would be advantageous?

Ideally, I would prefer to not pay tax in Canada (to avoid filling an income tax report) but in China or in another country.

Singapore? Other countries?

  • Do you mean, you want to invest in any stock market, (potentially) anywhere in the world? Or do you want to invest specifically in Canadian stocks? Commented Mar 15, 2017 at 19:03
  • 1
    Any stock markets would be fine. I just don't want to buy a "time deposit" and get 1 % interest. So I am looking to invest in some stock markets. And of course a larger stock market would be better. If I would invest in the Canadian stock market, I am afraid that it would make it more complicated for taxes (would I lose the non-tax resident status?) So I am thinking that it is maybe better that I avoid the canadian stock market.
    – Phil
    Commented Mar 16, 2017 at 3:36

1 Answer 1


You could register a company in Hong Kong and have the company open a traders account as a local entity.

  • Probably not in a day, but there are companies that specialize in this sort of thing. Commented Mar 18, 2017 at 2:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .