First, assume I know all the regular disclaimers about seeking professional tax planning/CPA help. I have, but want to balance that with many second opinions :)
I have the following vested, unexercised ISOs at a company I've been at for almost 4 years:
- 29,000 shares @ $1.40 strike price
- 15,000 shares @ $3.11 strike price
FMV for the still-private company is $10.50. Company is going public this year.
Some other details about my situation:
- I'm in the 33% tax bracket for ordinary income.
- I do not have the cash to exercise and/or pay AMT
- However, I do have access to the entire amount to exercise and pay AMT via an in-law via personal loan.
- I would like to have a fair amount of liquidity within 2 years ($250K post-tax).
What should I do -- what would you do? Thanks!