I am very confused on this one. In regards to Education Credit Expenses, do I enter box 2 (Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expense) of form 1098-T if I have not paid on the billed amount? I have searched around the web quite a bit and I can not get an answer. Without entering the amount I owe $2k and with it entered I get back $400. That is a big difference so I want to make sure I enter it right.

1 Answer 1


Box 2 is not usually all that useful. It's Box 1 that you will generally use. The usual question is whether to reduce the amount in Box 1 by the stuff in Box 5 or not. The answer to this question will depend on your situation.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .