I'm an F-1 student under OPT working full time in NYC. I have a brokerage account with Fidelity. I pay income taxes as a non-resident (1040NR)as I am in F-1 and my F-1 Visa started on 2014.

While opening my brokerage account in Sept 2016, they asked me to fill the W9 instead of the W8BEN even when I mentioned that I am a non-resident. Now, I get a 1099-DIV,1099-B from them. Is this correct? Shouldn't I get a 1042-S or something? This is so that I can claim a lower tax rate on my dividends.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.