In 2011, I made a large charitable contribution to my school. Some is still left over, despite my having taken the maximum allowable charitable deduction each year. I know that I cannot carryforward this deduction beyond 2016.

My question is: do I have to file my 2016 return by April 15, 2017 to take a deduction for the 2011 contribution, or do I have until Oct 15, 2017 (after filing for an extension)? (I am trying to plan a trip which, if I take it, will necessitate filing for an extension.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.