I work at an ESOP so technically I am one of the "owners" of a business.

This resulted in my W-2 having the entry in box 12a as "C XXX" where XXX is an amount less than $1000.

Can I just enter XXX in box 12 of my 1040 or do I have to fill out a whole Schedule C?

The Schedule C form is very complicated and asks all kinds of questions about the financials of my company about which I know nothing.

Further research indicates that code C means that this amount is "Group Term Life Insurance", which apparently gets added in to Line 1 already, so my guess is I can ignore the amount in the box. Is that right? What is the purpose of breaking out this income in box 12?

  • Owning a few shares of stock does not require you file as an owner, just as an investor. – keshlam Feb 4 '17 at 13:32

If the company pays for Group Term Life Insurance, some of that premium payment may be taxable. If memory serves, that's what's included in W-2 Box C.

W-2 Box C has no bearing on Schedule C.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.