He has had his "refund" confiscated by the IRS in past years to pay back taxes, but didn't make any money last year.

He lived with me for the entire year.

I want to claim him as a dependent on my return this year to potentially increase my own return, but am wondering if this amount he has in arrears could affect my refund in any way.

  • What is the relationship between you and this person? – Joe Jan 31 '17 at 18:48
  • 1
    The dependent is my son. – Chowzen Jan 31 '17 at 18:50

You are only responsible for IRS debt that you owe from returns that you have filed for yourself. The back taxes that your dependent owes are between him and the IRS.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.