Two questions regarding a UK property initially financed by a EUR mortgage, but now with GBP mortgage.

I am an Irish citizen living in the UK since 2005. In 2006 I bought a UK property but funded it with a EUR mortgage with a bank in Ireland (not a great decision but interest rates were much better in Ireland at the time)

In 2015/2016 tax year I have since paid off the entire EUR mortgage and taken out a GBP mortgage. However given the movevements in EUR/GBP since I took out the mortgage and paid it back, I have suffered a paper loss.

e.g. EUR50,000 in 2006 = ~£33,500 but EUR50,000 in 2015 = ~£40,000 so aside from the capital repayments, the cost of my loan went up.

  1. I know I can deduct any interest paid, but is there any way I can calculate this FX loss and write this off against my tax bill?

  2. When paying down the EUR mortgage with the GBP funds of my new mortgage I had to convert a large amount of GBP to EUR. The FX company charged a spread in the rate for the transaction, but didn't charge me any explicit FX fee. Is there any way I can calculate this and write this off against tax? I know HMRC publish monthly EUR/GBP FX rates, so could I calculate the difference between what I paid with their rate and write the difference off as a cost?

Thank you in advance


1 Answer 1


I spoke to HMRC and they said #1 is not allowable but #2 is. They suggested using either their published exchange rates or I could use another source. I suggested the Bank of England spot rates and that was deemed reasonable and allowable.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .