I just discovered some investment interest expenses from a broker statement that were not reported in my last year tax return.

Can I "carry them over" into my new tax return? Its probably an accounting flag, but I have the broker statement if necessary. More so wondering if that ship has simply sailed, as some tax reportings and elections really are time constricted.

  • 1
    Any reason you don't want to file an amended return for the previous year? – Joe Jan 19 '17 at 21:26
  • @Joe because the amounts aren't relatively large, I suppose – CQM Jan 19 '17 at 22:57
  • @Joe and it wouldn't affect anything I paid or received back from the government that year, as there weren't capital gains reported, just expenses. (For example, if I was short selling Valeant Pharmaceuticals in 2015 until now, the margin would be an interest expense I incurred that year) – CQM Jan 21 '17 at 0:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.