I am thinking of setting up U.S.-based consulting business & thinking of doing work for a company based out of China.

I would be handling the majority of the work in the U.S. and it may possibly involve some travel overseas.

My question is: Can they pay me by wire transfer to my personal account, and then I file for all of the taxes as a U.S. company without any issues?

  • 1
    I don't know the answer, but if you're setting up a company, why not take the extra few minutes and open a bank account for the company? They can transfer funds to that account and you'll avoid the whole issue. It will also make your accounting a lot simpler, especially in the event of a tax audit. Nov 11, 2016 at 19:07
  • They could, you shouldn't request that.
    – CQM
    Nov 11, 2016 at 22:18

1 Answer 1


It seems that you're complicating things quite a bit. Why would you not create a business entity, open one or more bank accounts for it, and then have the money wired into those accounts? If you plan on being a company then set up the appropriate structure for it.

In the U.S., you can form an S-corporation or an LLC and choose pass-through taxation so that all you pay is income tax on what you receive from the business as personal income. The business itself would not have tax liability in such a case.

Co-mingling your personal banking with that of your business could create real tax headaches for you if you aren't careful, so it's not worth the trouble or risk.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .