Before answering this question, please assume it is a given that:
- I am using a virtual card number for purchases regardless of whether I go through PayPal or not.
- I already have a PayPal account; the question is only regarding whether or not to use it for eBay.
- The seller is not requiring me to have a PayPal account of any sort.
(Otherwise the question is obviously pointless.)
Given these facts, is there any reason for me to go through PayPal?
Does it provide me with any actual benefits over just providing my virtual credit card number to eBay?
I've Googled this a lot, but the only "benefits" I can find are quite unsatisfying:
- PayPal is great and easy to use! (OK, but so is just putting in my credit card number...)
- PayPal provides you with buyer protection! (OK, but so does my card? What's the difference?)
- PayPal is sometimes required! (OK, but in that situation I obviously don't have a choice...)
On the other hand, I don't like that using PayPal gives the seller my email address, so that's one reason for me not to use PayPal -- sellers seem to abuse this information.
I've never really had to use PayPal's buyer protection to resolve disputes on eBay, though, so I'm not sure whether it's any different (e.g. easier or better coverage) than when using a credit card directly. (My credit cards are typical Mastercard/Visa cards with the typical protection benefits, nothing weird.)