I am a foreigner working full-time in the UK and studying part time at Uni. I want to study full time. In my old country, I used to draw and fix computers to earn some extra money.

What should I do if I want to become self-employed and keep my full time job? I don't want to sell any items or produce anything. I want to sell services only (Little things like painting a picture according to the clients idea, printing photos, fixing issues with computers). I predict my income to be about £50 per month or less on average.

I know about self-assessment form. But is it that simple? Is it the only thing I need to apply for? Do I need to pay any fees regularly like national insurance?


Firstly, check your visa conditions (if you're not from the EU): http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Working/How-many-hours-can-you-work

You do need to register for NI, but that's apparently streamlined into registering as self-employed: How to pay N.I contributions when both employed and self-employed?

(Realistically, you can almost certainly get away with doing <£50 month in cash-in-hand jobs with no paperwork whatsoever, but in the very unlikely event of being caught it could result in being deported)

  • I am from the EU. Also, I'd prefer to pay tax for even the low income, so I don't have to worry about it when I get new clients. – Tantal Sep 27 '16 at 22:44
  • So I need to register for two things? Self-assessment and national insurance? Would doing only these two things make me a sole trader? – Tantal Sep 27 '16 at 22:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.