I recently let go my only two employees, leaving me with an empty ~1,000 sq ft office space. The space has two smaller rooms and one open concept area (big enough to comfortably accommodate 6 or 7 people).
- My lease will not expire for another year
- I pay $800/month for rent
- The office is located on a busy street with other businesses and restaurants
- Without going into specifics, the lease is rather boilerplate (nothing fancy). And the landlord is easy going. There is a generic clause about subletting: it is only permitted with written consent of the landlord
- The landlord is not easy going enough to let me out of the lease early
- The office also has a bathroom and private parking
Do I have any other options besides letting the office sit vacant while I still pay rent? I work from home now so it is a useless expense. I feel like there's an opportunity somewhere (example, I've heard of shared office spaces, but not sure how well that works assuming landlord permits it).
At the risk of coming across as "too broad" I'm looking for creative but semi-practical solutions and suggestions.
If the answer is "tough luck" then so be it.