I am Indian origin and I have done many investment in India thru NRE bank account.(legally send money to India.) I have done all investment after I pay taxes in USA.

All investment are long term, so according to Indian tax rule its tax free investment.

But I want to bring all those money back to USA either to buy property, pay for my child's education, etc.

Question are: Do I need to pay taxes on all amount I bring from India? Do I need to pay taxes only on interest I earned from India? (15% long term insurance)


1 Answer 1


If you are a US resident (not necessarily citizen) then yes, you do have to pay capital gains taxes on any capital gains, including interest from assets oversees (like interest from a savings account). Additionally you have to report all your foreign bank accounts according to FATCA (https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corporations/foreign-account-tax-compliance-act-fatca).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.