I'm looking into some of the tax exemptions for my mother. She pays a ton in local and school taxes, so much she can barely afford it. I was reading about the disability exemption described here:


She gets Social Security, and not disability, but she does have a heart condition, and it's difficult for her to get around due to a bad knee. I'm wondering if she would qualify for this exemption, and if so, how I would go about getting her on it?

  • What's her annual income?
    – Joe
    Sep 7, 2016 at 20:51

1 Answer 1


According to the NY page on Exemptions for Persons with Disabilities, she must either qualify for SSDI or SSI, or one of a few other programs. She must be able to submit one of these forms:

  • Award letter from the Social Security Administration certifying the applicant's eligibility to receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Award letter from the Railroad Retirement Board certifying the applicant's eligibility to receive railroad retirement disability benefits
  • Certificate from the State Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped stating that the applicant is legally blind
  • Award letter from the United States Postal Service stating that the applicant is certified to receive a United States Postal Service disability pension
  • Award letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs stating that the applicant is entitled to a veterans disability pension

She must also have an income less than $29,000 per year, including her social security income. Different municipalities may have other restrictions (including a lower income limit), or may expand a smaller break to people above the limit, but you'd have to check with your local revenue authority for their specific rules.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .