I am sole shareholder in a State #1 S-Corp. I funnel various earned income (I have various business interests) into this S-Corp from which I pay myself a salary, pay business expenses and profit distributions.

The S-Corp is a minority partner in a State #2 LLC and receives a K-1 each year. The LLC is profitable and pays a regular distribution of profit to the S-Corp. The LLC pays, as required, PTE taxes to State #2 on my behalf.

My current CPA is filing a State #1 filing declaring the S-Corp income upon which I pay taxes on the profits. In State #2, I file for a refund of the PTE less a small amount undistributed income held by the LLC at year end. I pay State #2 a taxes on this undistributed income and claim credit with State #1)

One of the other LLC partners is paid as a normal individual (meaning they don't have their own S-Corp) however they also reside in State #1. State #2 has audited them and declared that they owe taxes on this K-1 income. The partner, is now having to get refunds from State #1 for taxes paid and remit this along with hefty fines to State #2.

My concern is whether State #2, despite me having an S-Corp, could determine the S-Corp K-1 income is taxable in State #2.

1 Answer 1


I'm not sure why you think that it matters that the distribution goes to an S-Corp vs an individual tax payer. You seem to think it has any relevance to your question, but it doesn't. It only confuses your readers.

The situation is like this:

LLC X is deriving income in State #2. It has two members (I and S) residents of State #1.

Members I and S pay all their taxes to State #1, and don't pay taxes to State #2. State #2 audited member I and that member now needs to pay back taxes and penalties to State #2 on income derived from that State.

Your question:

Does that mean that member S should be worried, since that member was essentially doing the exact same thing as member I?

My answer:


  • Thanks! Indeed confirms my think. The S-Corp has obvious income and expenses, but I would simply need to allocate these to State #2 in a non-resident.
    – Chris K
    Sep 2, 2016 at 20:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.