I just e-filed my 2010 taxes and have received a direct deposit of my refund already. I just realized I'd like to make a contribution to my Roth IRA (and my wife's) for 2010. How can I do this? Do I need to file an amended return?


No, you do not need to file an amended return, because Roth contributions are after tax contributions and are not reported on your return (UNLESS you over-contribute in which case you may have to pay a penalty on your return).

Make the contribution now before April 15 and you don't need to worry about it. Just make sure you are within the required contribution limits.

| improve this answer | |
  • By "now," specifically before the regular filing deadline (April 18th 2011). – mbhunter Mar 20 '11 at 1:46
  • Doesn't the original question and this answer only apply to Traditional IRAs? Roth's are post-tax and have no difference in your filed taxes, correct? – DuckMaestro Mar 20 '11 at 5:20
  • @DuckMaestro Duh, you are correct. There is no change in the taxes because Roth contributions don't get reported. Changed answer. – Michael Pryor Mar 20 '11 at 17:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy