I just e-filed my 2010 taxes and have received a direct deposit of my refund already. I just realized I'd like to make a contribution to my Roth IRA (and my wife's) for 2010. How can I do this? Do I need to file an amended return?

1 Answer 1


No, you do not need to file an amended return, because Roth contributions are after tax contributions and are not reported on your return (UNLESS you over-contribute in which case you may have to pay a penalty on your return).

Make the contribution now before April 15 and you don't need to worry about it. Just make sure you are within the required contribution limits.

  • By "now," specifically before the regular filing deadline (April 18th 2011).
    – mbhunter
    Commented Mar 20, 2011 at 1:46
  • Doesn't the original question and this answer only apply to Traditional IRAs? Roth's are post-tax and have no difference in your filed taxes, correct? Commented Mar 20, 2011 at 5:20
  • @DuckMaestro Duh, you are correct. There is no change in the taxes because Roth contributions don't get reported. Changed answer. Commented Mar 20, 2011 at 17:53

You must log in to answer this question.