My friend want to claim Child Care expense for Federal Tax, but as she lived in Quebec, a large part of her children's day care fees are already returned by Quebec government. So could she still claim Child Care expense in Federal Tax return?


Check here, but that material suggests that the answer is "no," at least for the reimbursed part.

  • I found this "You can claim payments for child care expenses that you paid for the parental contribution set ($7.00 per day) by the government of Québec." Real confusing. Can you explain a bit? – user3028 Mar 17 '11 at 4:39
  • @Peter They're saying you can claim amounts you paid and were not reimbursed for. You can't claim the part of the expenses that are covered by the Québec government. Example: If total child care expenses were $2000 but the province covered $1400, then you could claim only $600 on your federal return for the child care expenses. i.e. one's own out-of-pocket expenses. – Chris W. Rea Mar 18 '11 at 17:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy