In spite of the tendency for people to think of gold and diamonds as an emergency store of value for a shit-hits-the-fan scenario, I have a hard time understanding how owning physical gold would actually be of great practical use to me in such a scenario.
For the sake of argument and to avoid speculating on what this scenario might look like (nuclear disaster, global war, pandemic, natural disasters), let's assume that as a result of some combination of events:
- Major stock exchanges lose 80% of their value
- Significant portions of the economy simply shut down
- Widespread panic results in runs on banks causing them to fail
- A shortage of goods and insatiable for currency cause hyper-inflation
- Power, water and sanitation infrastructure fail
- You get the picture
My question is, what should you invest in now that would be much more valuable in a post-apocalyptic scenario?