I have an independent contractor agreement with a U.S. consulting company and work from India. I get paid through a wire transfer in my India account. I get paid on an hourly basis based on the consulting services I render. I have following questions:

  1. Do I need to pay tax for my income coming from the U.S. in the US? I am already paying the income tax in India like other consultants lawyers, doctors etc.
  2. I have a US bank account to. Can I receive my consulting fee in my US bank account? Will there be any tax implications?
  3. Is there anything I need to do to comply with the US IRS regulations?
  • 1
    Are you ever present in the US?
    – littleadv
    Aug 9, 2016 at 23:02

1 Answer 1


Read IRS Publication 54 which explains this... You may be able to exclude up to $100,800 of income as not taxable by the United States, and there are residency requirements.... For example if you worked abroad for the full year, you may be viewed as a non resident in the U.S..

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .