I am an Indian, employed in the private sector, in India.

I have an inactive Provident Fund account from the previous employer. I was employed with this employer for 12 years and resigned from this employment in 2009. So, my account is inactive / dormant since 2012.

From 2009 - 2013 I was freelancing and hence did not have any PF account or contribution thereof. But I did not close the PF account.

I took up my current job in 2013, which is contributing my PF to a different account and has a UAN.

Now, lets say I make a online transfer claim and link my old account to the new UAN. If I quit my current job, say in the next few months, when I have not completed 5 years with my current employer, how will my account be treated ? Less than 5 years (current employment) or more than 5 years (current 4 years and old employment 12 years with a break of 4 years in between)

Both the accounts are maintained with EPFO.

1 Answer 1


It would be treated as more than 5 years.

There have been quite a bit of changes in the regulations in this space in last few years. There is no codified rule on such exceptions. It is best to consult a PF adviser or a CA.

  • Supporting reference, perhaps? Aug 7, 2016 at 15:03
  • @ChrisW.Rea Difficult in this specific case. There has been quite a bit of changes in this space. This is more based on questions and clarifs. But I guess I should edit the answer as such.
    – Dheer
    Aug 7, 2016 at 16:32
  • @Dheer - Thanks for your answer. I have got some mixed opinions from CAs. I will try and post a question to EPF Helpdesk and see if they will clarify the position.
    – Anupama
    Aug 20, 2016 at 7:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.