I moved back to Florida last year after moving out of the state back in 1995.

Since my birthday is coming soon I logged into the Florida DMV to check about renewing my license plates (I have purchased a Toyota and have a Ford lease car). Once logged in I noticed that their system lists me as the owner of a 1972 Dodge. It looks like as shown in below image:

snip from DMV DB

The title is listed as still being active. The funny thing is just that I have never owned a Dodge from 1970's.

This is a bit of a concern because if this vehicle is involved in any criminal activity (in cases where they e.g. do not catch the driver), I could easily become a suspect. I am guessing this has not been a problem yet as they probably would have said something when I went to change my out-of-state driving license to the Florida version last year.

In an attempt to find out more about this vehicle I checked the vehicle history services linked to at http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis_vehiclehistory.html. All of the listed services said however that they do not have any information about the VIN number.

And the DMV site does provide a link to this form HSMV 82050 that can be used for removing a vehicle listed that one "no longer owns". The problem with this form is however that it asks me to enter the name and address of the person that I have delivered the vehicle to. So it does not seem to be applicable to my situation.

Also I am guessing that this sort of thing could not have happened merely if someone else has the same name as I do. After all the DMV login process asks me to identify myself based on my SSN and some other information.

So the questions I wanted to ask is:

  1. Wouldn't transferring a title to another persons name require some kind of acknowledgement from the recipient?
  2. If this can be part of some kind of a scam?

1 Answer 1


I had a similar problem -just the reverse- and had to go down to the DMV office to straighten everything out.

They should be able to tell you what needs to be done. I wouldn't try and handle it over the phone or electronically.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.