I have a question about the Spousal RRSP that I want to validate.
When can you start contributing back to a Spousal RRSP after a withdrawal has been made?
Summary of actions taken so far:
- My last contribution was in December 2012.
- I made a withdrawal (partial de-registration) in January 2016.
As I understand it:
Any withdrawals from Jan 1, 2015 are attributed as income to my spouse.
- 2012 (last deposit)
- 2013 (no activity)
- 2014 (no activity)
- 2015 (no activity)
- 2016 (withdrawal) - Deposits in 2014, 2015, and 2016 ($0) attribute to me as income
So, my spouse will have income for the 2016 tax year from the SRRSP withdrawal.
Are the following assumptions correct:
- I should not (unfortunately) make a contribution in calendar year 2016 even though the contribution would be after the date she withdrew ( Jan 2016 ) to avoid it being attributed to me.
- I can still contribute in Jan-Feb 2017 and it will count as a deduction for the 2016 tax year
- I can contribute in Mar-Dec 2017 and it will count as a deduction for the 2017 tax year
I'm 80% sure about point 1, 99% sure about point 3. And I'm 50% sure about point 2.