My wife is enrolled in a college that the only way for us to get there is via toll roads and a couple of bridges. It costs almost $30 per day.

This wasn't an issue last semester because all of her classes were on a single day.

This semester, none of her classes are on the same day, so that is over $100/week we are spending on tolls. Can any part of these at least be written off on our taxes?

  • Are there no public transit options?
    – warren
    Commented Jul 14, 2016 at 18:11
  • 1
    @warren - There are, but because we live outside of the major city, we have to bus into the city, subway to a train and it costs about the same and takes two times longer. Commented Jul 14, 2016 at 19:27

1 Answer 1


Unfortunately, transportation to school, including tolls, is not a deductible educational expense.

From the IRS's Qualified Educational Expenses page:

Expenses that Do Not Qualify

Even if you pay the following expenses to enroll or attend the school, the following are not qualified education expenses:

  • Room and board
  • Insurance
  • Medical expenses (including student health fees)
  • Transportation
  • Similar personal, living or family expenses
  • Well, now I need to find a way to take/make $2000/year from something else. Money life hack: Don't go to school in the North East if you don't live near it. Commented Jul 13, 2016 at 14:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .