We are in the process of trying to rent our place. We would like to make an offer on another property, but hesitate to do so until our place is rented for obvious reasons. However, we also do not wish to lose out on this "new" place and have it be sold while we wait around for renters.
If we do make an offer, betting on our place being rented by the end of negotiations and it is not, how can we get out of the negotiations? Do we lose earnest money? If yes, how can it be done so nothing is "lost"?